This may seem to be too secretive for some, but some people are members of groups on Facebook that would feel better if they could keep others from knowing about it.
For instance, there are many depression and other self-help groups on Facebook that are private groups, which means that you can post freely without everyone being able to read your group posts. However, these groups appear (in name only) on your public profile.
You might not want your coworkers, neighbors, and family to know that you are depressed or that you have battled depression.
Or perhaps you are simply pursuing a new interest and aren’t sure that you want to broadcast that to the world just yet.
There is a way to keep these groups from appearing on your pubic profile to help you maintain your privacy, and I have found it.
How to hide your Facebook groups:
- First, you need to be on your Timeline. Click on your profile pic to get there.
- Below your name and cover photo, you will see the following categories:
Timeline | About | Friends | Photos | More
- Click on “More.” At the bottom of that popup menu (scroll down) you will find “Manage Sections.” (see photo)
- Click on “Manage Sections.” In the popup menu that appears, you will see all the features that show on the left side of your Facebook page, indicated by a check-mark.
- UNCHECK any features, such as Groups, that you do not want to appear.
As you might notice, you can also rearrange the features of your sidebar by simply dragging and dropping them into place.
Here is the Facebook Help section where I located this information on hiding groups.
On your Timeline click the MORE tab below your Cover Photo,select Manage Sections,
- in the check box menu that opens you can select to not show a Groups section in the left column of your Timeline, in your About or in the MORE tab menu by unchecking the Groups item.